Scroll Top
Seerapalayam Village, Coimbatore – 641 105

5 Signs of Faulty Wiring – EEE

Symptoms of Poor Electrical Wiring in a Home

It’s easy to take the comfort of power in your home, but think of a situation when the electrical wiring behind the wall fails? Renovating an older house may be arduous, especially when the majority of the task is concealed behind walls. According to census India, nearly 99 million of the 187 million houses are of Permanent category and 35 million houses fall under the temporary category.

When it pertains to residential properties, the probability of erroneous electrical wiring or wiring that has to be maintained increases dramatically. Read this blog from the top college for Electrical and Electronics engineering if you are concerned about the wiring in your house and would like to know the safety tips.

Which wiring is termed as Faulty Electrical Wiring?

Faulty electrical wiring indicates that the wires have been damaged or that the voltage passing through them is erroneous. This might be the consequence of an electrician putting the squeeze on safety, cables that have degraded with age, or rodent damage to wiring. In any instance, it’s essential to be on the lookout for indicators of faulty electrical wiring. If you are passionate to know more about Electrical and electronics engineering, do read the latest blogs from the Best electrical and electronics engineering college in Coimbatore

Impact on Power Consumption Charges

When energy is not flowing properly, cables are likely to emit more electricity than is required to power gadgets. This leakage raises your power consumption, causing you to spend more money on electricity each month.

Five Symptoms of Poor House Wiring

Here are five warning indications that you may have faulty wiring.

1. Habitually tripping circuit breakers

It’s fairly unusual for breakers to slip and fall. That is precisely why we have them—to cut off the flow of electricity when the circuit is overwhelmed. If, on the other hand, breakers are often tripping, the first action should be to limit the number of devices connected to the circuit. A further step is to replace the circuit breaker which is habitually tripping. If nothing of these solutions works, the wiring should be investigated to avoid a fire threat. It’s also conceivable that the circuit is being overloaded by too many high-energy gadgets.

2. Flashing lights

Watch for lights that flicker, buzz, or fade. When you connect in a device and the lights fade, this indicates that the electrical current is not flowing properly. Also, pay attention to any light switches that buzz when you turn them on—this is a major safety issue.

3. Electrical Outlets that are quite hot

Keep a watch out for hot, blackened, or burned electrical outlets because bad wiring transmits too much energy to them. This might suggest that the cables and outlet are being heated by an energy leak. This burst of power might harm equipment or, in the worst-case scenario, cause a fire.

4. Fragile Wiring

The problem goes beyond rodents in the house if you detect frayed or damaged wiring. The electrical circuit is exposed when the protective plastic covering is damaged, exposing the wires inside. This forces electricity to arc, potentially resulting in deadly electrical shocks or even a fire.

5. Burning odour

If you smell blazing or odour of melting plastic near an outlet, it’s the sign of occurrence of fire damage already occurred. Disconnect everything from the outlet and call a qualified electrician right away to have the wiring inspected.


Assistant Professor

Department of EEE