IIT Remote Centre
A Remote Center (RC) is a place from where the participants/people can interact with the instructor (faculty at IIT) who is conducting the course or delivering a lecture from IIT Bombay. The live lectures are transmitted at Remote Centers using A-VIEW software.
- The Remote Center (RC) is usually a reputed engineering college with good facility and infrastructure.
- It acts as a host for the virtual classroom environment created by A-VIEW.
- The participant can attend the workshop in a RC close to his/her place. The RC minimizes the logistics of travel, boarding and lodging.
The institute wishing to become a remote center for IIT Bombay for the conducting the workshops, needs to have the following facilities :
- It should be centrally located with a number of engineering colleges in the area, so as to attract a large number of participants.
- It should have a well equipped classroom and labs with broadband internet connection, for a minimum of 50 participants.
- Backup of internet at venue if main internet connectivity fails due to any issue.
- The classroom and labs should be equipped with overhead projector with minimum 12×9 feet screen.
- The venue on where workshop will be conducted, should be equipped with professional audio system.
- UPS to sustain Power if main line fails due to any issue.
- Lodging and boarding facilities for participants, either in hostel or in a place near the campus*.
*This is not mandatory, especially if the Remote Center is in a large city with many local participants.
Faculty Center Coordinators are appointed at each RC, to handle the technology infrastructure and other operational logistics i.e taking care of common logistics arrangements such as classroom, audio-visual equipment, and arrangements for stay and food for participating teachers. Additionally, each subject specific workshop will require another faculty member to be nominated as the Workshop Coordinator for that subject while coordinator workshop. The workshop coordinator will be responsible for liaison with IIT Bombay faculty for that subject, and will conduct the lab and tutorial sessions at that RC. Some other nominations will also be required for the smooth functioning of the workshop.